Click to view full size image

First Presbyterian Church

The Presbytery of the Brazos, with the Rev. P. H. Fullenwider presiding as Moderator, organized the Presbyterian Church of Huntsville on the last Sabbath of June, 1848. The congregation used the Court House as a place of worship in common with other churches of Huntsville for several years along with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church building and the chapel of Austin College. In March, 1855, a lot on the corner of 13th Street and Avenue K was purchased and a church was erected. This church served its purpose until 1898 when it was removed to give place to a larger structure. The bell in the steeple of the present sanctuary was a gift of Judge A. Baker and John S. Besser. It was stated on the bell support that the bell was cast by A. Fulton in 1851 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The bell has been moved each time a new church building was constructed. While this later building was being constructed, services were held in the old "Opera House" over the then active New York Store. The manse property was purchased by the church in 1886 and included a lot and residence across the street from the church. This property was later sold, and a larger manse was erected on the west side of the church. In 1955 the church building and mase on the downtown property were sold to the Huntsville National Bank. Property for a new church was purchased on the corner of 19th street and Avenue R. In February of 1956 ground was broken for a new building and in September of that same year the first services were held. In 1974 growth required that additional construction be undertaken and the present First Presbyterian Church edifice came into being.